A shout out to Story and Somnomancy for nominating the blog for the Liebester Award!
The Good Stuff
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link their blog.
2. Give your readers 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions from the blog who nominated you.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers to receive this award.
5. Come up with 11 questions for your nominees.
1. Florence + the Machine is just majestic. She was one of the artists I saw live for the first time.
2. I once dreamed of drawing manga as a teen. I was terrible at it but drawing was so much fun. I remember drawing a recap of a class trip that left my friend crying/laughing.
3. I listen to Kpop because it can be silly, dramatic, sincere and unexpected. The variety shows are fun too.
4. Most of my Jpop/rock playlist is from old school anime
5. I usually ask my brother for anime recommendations but if you have any recs – feel free to drop them below! When I get into it again, I may try out blog recaps.
6. Ditto manga & J-drama recommendations!
7. Once I fall in love with an author’s work, I make it my life’s mission to read as much of their work as possible. With established writers, it may take me decades to make a dent but it is worth every word and minute spent in their worlds. E.g. Ursula Le Guin, Garth Nix, Patricia Mckillip, Isobelle Carmody, Catherynne Valente, Aliette de Bodard etc.
8. I want to learn how to play an acoustic instrument. Preferably the ukulele, acoustic guitar or a violin. I have my sister’s old electric guitar but it doesn’t sound right despite my tuning attempts. I’ll practice and see if I can break through that barrier. I still think the ukulele is a safer bet.
9. I studied Japanese during high school (I regret not double majoring during university) but I want to brush up on Japanese and learn new languages. I’d love to be able to read a translated book in it’s original language.
10. I prefer borrowing and reading a book first before purchasing a story but my growing bookshelf seems unaffected by that preference.
11. I am passionate about reading diverse speculative fiction.
1. If you can assign a theme song to your favorite book, what would the theme song be?
2. What was the most recent book that’s made you grin like a giddy schoolgirl/boy?
Veniss Underground by Jeff Vandermeer. The other day, I was book browsing at a store when I spotted the reprint! I assumed I’d never get to read this book because I’m from Oz (with the exception of online order hunting.) The story is more of a sombre read but it’s appearance made me grin like a fool.
*Honourable Mention: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe made me giddy too.
3. What types of books do you normally read?
Fantasy + Speculative fiction.
4. What author do you get excited over when a new release has been announced?
Aliette de Bodard.
5. If you hosted a tea party, which book characters would you like to have sitting at your table?
Mori from Among Others. Pretty much everyone from the Harry Potter universe unless you’re Mouldy Voldy, Umbridge or a person with a sadistic streak.
6. Any books that have made you angry lately?
I tend to avoid books that will anger me.
7. Do you fully read book reviews before or after you’ve finished the book?
Depends on the book. I usually skim friend’s reviews beforehand but not if they’re spoilerific. We all experience stories differently so I’m prepared for my experience to vary.
8. What book(s) are you currently reading?
Odori by Darcy Tamayose, The Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler and Hannu Rajaniemi: Collected Fiction.
9. What book would you like to see adapted in a different medium (graphic novel, game, movie, anime, TV series, etc.)?
Jeff Vandermeer’s Veniss Underground. The world lends itself to an excellent cyberpunkish slow-moving noir anime.
10. Do you have any other geeky hobbies besides reading?
Did my manga, anime and Kpop word spill not give me away? I clumsily craft origami jewelry.
11. Zombies or unicorns?
Unicorns! I don’t want to live with zombies. Unless they’re Liv Moore from I-Zombie. She’s awesome.
Questions for Nominees:
1. If you can assign a theme song to your favorite anti-hero, antagonist, or villain, what would the theme song be?
2. What was the most recent book that made you laugh?
3. What types of books do you want to try reading more of?
4. Who is your new favourite author?
5. If you were trapped in an alternate fantastical universe, which book characters would you like to meet for help and/or fun?
6. What is your preferred method of acquiring books – libraries, bookstores, friends?
7. Why did you start blogging?
8. What book(s) are you reading next?
9. If you like book adaptations, what is your favourite book adaptation?
10. What is your go-to hobby (besides reading)?
11. Dragons or Fae?